Head of Department: Mrs A Amies
Year 10 & 11 (KS4)
Level and Exam Board:
GCSE – Edexcel
Aims of the Course:
- Explore performance texts, understanding their social, cultural and historical context including the theatrical conventions of the period in which they were created
- Develop a range of theatrical skills and apply them to create performances
- Work collaboratively to generate, develop and communicate ideas. Develop as creative, effective, independent and reflective students able to make informed choices in process and performance
- Over three components students will develop their own original piece of theatre through a devising project; they will also perform an extract from a script and then develop their own concept for a play for the written exam. The exam also encompasses a live review in which students will watch a performance in a theatre and write an evaluation under exam conditions
- Component 1 – Devised performance and notebook – 40%
- Component 2 – Scripted performance and notebook – 20%
- Component 3 – written exam – 40%
Find out more...
- We have a dedicated drama studio with a full lighting and sound system. We also have a range of stage set, props and costumes to use in lessons. We are lucky to have a traditional proscenium arch stage in the hall which offers us a wonderful platform to perform on and use in lessons. The school library also has an extensive range of plays and theoretical drama books.
- One compulsory trip costing approximately £45
- Other trips will be available but will be student choice
- Drama as a subject opens doors to a wide range of industries. Businesses find the students ability to communicate and work as part of a team is a core principal of the workplace. Students may want to stay in the creative industry looking at developing careers in acting, back stage work or writing. Careers such as Law also welcome Drama at A Level as the skills embedded in the course support the career.
- Students that have studied drama have gone onto complete A Levels in theatre, joined drama schools or apprenticeships. We have had students find successful careers in the Business Industry, Publishing as well as acting and football careers.