Head of Department: Mrs S Plowman
Years 10 & 11
Level and Exam Board:
GCSE – EDUQAS Food Preparation and Nutrition
WJEC Level 1/2 Award in Hospitality and Catering
Aims of the Course:
- This course has been designed to encourage students to further develop practical skills to produce and serve products to a high standard maintaining high standards of food hygiene. This include demonstrating an understanding functions and properties of ingredients
- To understand about nutrition, healthy diets, dietary requirements and lifestyle
- To be aware of current issues including provenance, sustainability, ethical issues relating to food
Throughout Year 10 students develop their knowledge, skills and understanding of the subject. This is done through practical work, including making products and testing ingredients, as well as written work. Where possible the class will take part in learning through practical experiences. During Year 10 students will develop skills to prepare them for Year 11.
Year 11 starts with the first controlled assessment. Task 1 is an investigation into the working and functioning properties of ingredients, the theme of which is set by the exam board at the start of the year.
After completing Task 1 the students start Task 2 which is to plan and prepare three different products for a given theme, this will also be set by the exam board during this time.
Following this the students take part in further theory and practical lessons preparing them for the final written exam at the end of year 11.
Find out more...
- Task 1 & 2 Controlled Assessment 50%
- Written exam 50%
Equipment/ Suggested Resources:
- The department has Chef’s whites for the students to wear however if they wish to provide their own this is also welcomed. Students will cook every week and are expected to provide the ingredients for these lessons unless alternative arrangements have been made
- We have two well equipped rooms. One room is a more traditional food room and the other is a catering room
- Part time jobs, apprenticeships, catering college, A Level
- We are very proud of our students who achieve well and show a high level of professionalism towards their practical exams. The progress made in many cases is outstanding. Students set themselves high standards and work hard to achieve target grades and in many cases they exceed target grades.