Head of Department: Mr S Jenkins
Level and Exam Board:
GCSE – AQA
Aims of the Course:
- To enable students to design and make products with creativity and originality, using a range of graphic and modelling materials
- For students to be enthused and challenged by a range of practical activities
- To learn to use, understand and apply colour and design, to develop spatial concepts, and to understand graphic materials and their manipulation.
Students learn through a range of activities and mini projects.
Design & Market influences including: Designers, Techniques and Processes, Sketching, Enhancement, Presentation, Pictorial Drawing, Working Drawings, Surface Developments, Paper Engineering, Information Drawing, Products & Applications, Evaluation, SMSC, Sustainability, ICT and Health & Safety.
Manufacturing including: Systems & Control and Industrial Practices.
Find out more...
- 60% Coursework task chosen from a range of contexts set by the exam board, internally marked and externally moderated. Approximately 20 A3 sheets and a finished 3D product over approximately 45 hours
- 40% Written exam. 2 hours, including 1 question based on a theme set by the exam board prior to the exam
Equipment/ Suggested Resources:
All equipment is provided in school, although the following may be helpful:
Drawing equipment – 2H pencil, eraser, 30cm rule, technical compass, set squares (45’ and 60’) technical drawing pens, coloured pencils.
The technology department at Stratton is well equipped with four laser cutters, a CNC milling machine, dedicated ICT rooms, large workshops containing new hand tools, Pillar drills, vertical sanding machines, work benches
Students will find the course appropriate to a range of career choices where the ability to communicate through drawing and modelling is beneficial.
Interior Design, Product Design, Graphic Design, Architecture, Engineering.